Skip to main content

Mapping My Digital Space

Technology has been around me since I was born. As a millennial, I was raised with it. While I didn't have a cellphone until the end of high school, I've been using computers my entire life. I've been so immersed in it that it took reading about David White's philosophy of visitor vs. resident to step back and evaluate myself. It's the idea that "visitors" do not leave an online record that they were ever there, whereas "residents" are online with the intention of connecting with another human being. Visitors might be doing someone online shopping and surfing the web, whereas residents might be expanding their professional network. Diving further, understanding that we all have a professional and a personal network, we can divide our internet usage into four quadrants. 

Below is my digital space map.

My Digital Spaces Map

Rather than choosing to make some icons overlap into different quadrants, I opted to repeat the logo and make it larger or smaller depending on my use. For example, I made my personal twitter a larger logo than my professional twitter, because I currently use my personal twitter more.

I think the biggest surprise I had was that I spend much more time in the resident side, for both professional and personal. I feel like it's easy to fall into a habit of "mindless scrolling" on the internet, shuffling through sites day in and day out. But I realized that the sites I typically use leave an online footprint, making me a resident in that space.

Another thing I found interesting was the difference between my computer and my cellphone. This digital map reflects my computer use. If I was mapping my cellphone, I think the apps I use would push me more into the visitor side of the map.
        **Update** I revised my digital map to add my most frequently used apps from my phone. I found that of the 6 apps I added, only 1 of them (Starbucks) was a visitor app. Everything else I use leaves a digital trace. Even the word game I play leaves a trace, as it is connected to  Facebook and can challenge other people. 

Comments

  1. Wow! Nice map! I didn't consider making the icons different sizes based on the amount of usage, great idea! I did a combination of both computer and cell phone use on mine, but even just with the cell phone, I would consider myself more of a resident. Many of those sites I use both on the phone and safari. I agree that being a millennial we have been around technology our whole lives. Additionally, it has grown quite a bit! From having the teacher pull in the tv cart into the room for movie day, to the use of smart boards and smart tv's, it continues to grow! With the growing though comes the cost. Many districts cannot afford to catch up with the digital age. One of the problems is once a district buys devices, such as one to one devices for each student, a few years later there is a newer and faster version of that device. Same with our phones. My dad has the iPhone 5 (I think?) and it is far more slow and harder to use than my iPhone 7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I completed my map I scrolled through my phone apps as well as my laptop. Our smartphones are such a part of our everyday being that they need to be included in our maps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I updated my map to include my most frequently used cellphone apps.

      Delete
  3. I really like the idea of increasing or decreasing your logos based on use. It helps a lot visually. I didn't separate out a lot of my specific apps like online gaming. Even though I'm connected thru Facebook with some of them (Candy Crush), I don't really use the connection features much. It's interesting too that you had different maps when you look at your phone vs laptop. I think if I added my ipad, I probably would have even more. I forgot about it completely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made such a good point about including our cell phones because I know I tend to use it differently than when I'm on my laptop. You're right usually when I'm on my phone I'm merely scrolling through just to pass the time. I'm glad that you updated your map to include the differences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great visual! I didn't think about adjusting the icon size to reflect the amount it's used. That would have made my map look very different.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Web 2.0 Tools

For this weeks assignment, I had the opportunity to explore a web tool I was previously not familiar with. I chose Seesaw , and I was very impressed with what this website can do. Logo courtesy of seesaw.me Described by children as "Facebook for kids", Seesaw allows students to join an online "classroom" with their teacher and peers. In that classroom, they can share their work and comment on each other's posts. Teachers can send messages to students and even have the ability to share the online classroom with parents. This is a great way to allow technology to bring teachers, students, and parents together in one place. Seesaw gives students a safe space online to show off all their hard work in class. Check out the video below to learn more about the basics of setting up an account and navigating this awesome website. Personal video of seesaw.me created with Screencastify One pretty cool feature about this website is how students log in. You can

Professional Learning Network

Photo courtesy of twitter.com I joined Twitter in 2009. Like most millennials, I used it to stay in contact with friends, scroll through memes, and share tidbits about my day. It wasn't until my senior year of undergrad that I actually created a professional Twitter account. I took a nutrition communication class that required I create an account and tweet out helpful nutrition tips several times a week. It stressed writing my own tweets over retweeting others. This was great, but I didn't really focus on gaining followers because I didn't interact much with the rest of Twitter. It wasn't until EDU776 that I truly started utilizing Twitter to expand my professional network.  Field trips can be fun and educational, but they can also be expensive, hard to plan, and difficult to chaperone. One resource that I found particularly helpful was originally posted by Kara Wilkins  and shared through Twitter  by  @WeAreTeachers . They post contained a list of 250 "vi

Design Thinking

Design Thinking Check out my video about this educational trend!  Here are some interesting links for more information: 1.  https://www.ted.com/talks/tim_brown_urges_designers_to_think_big/up-next#t-6925  (Links to an external site.) Links to an external site. 2.  https://dschool-old.stanford.edu/sandbox/groups/k12/wiki/14340/attachments/e55cd/teacher%20takeaway.pdf?sessionID=c85b670208fde73cab552d4757ad4f368f2[KM,;’\\0d455  (Links to an external site.) Links to an external site. 3.  https://web.stanford.edu/dept/SUSE/taking-design/presentations/Taking-design-to-school.pdf  (Links to an external site.) Links to an external site. 4.  https://designthinkingforeducators.com/  (Links to an external site.) Links to an external site. 5.  https://dschool-old.stanford.edu/groups/k12/wiki/332ff/Curriculum_Home_Page.html  (Links to an external site.) Links to an external site. 6.  http://ajjuliani.com/the-beginners-guide-to-design-thinking-in-the-classroom/  (Links to an exter