Skip to main content

Self-Evaluation of Framework

TIP Chart 
Teaching Innovation Progression Chart

Self reflection is critical for growth. This  The TIP Chart provides modern educators with clear charts that can be used to asses competency in a variety of categories. I went about this exercise evaluating myself in terms of working with a nutrition patient. 

http://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/21/files/2015/03/TIPC_Teaching-Innovation-Progression-Chart.pdf

I would say on the communication and collaboration scale, I am a 5. I feel confident in my ability to communicate and work with a patient. I enjoy creating activities and challenges for patients in order to expand their nutrition knowledge. In order to progress on this scale, I feel I need more experience in this field. Graduating with my masters and passing the RD exam are the first steps in the right direction. 


http://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/21/files/2015/03/TIPC_Teaching-Innovation-Progression-Chart.pdf

On the critical thinking and problem solving scale, I believe I am a 5. I pride myself on my critical thinking skills, and I believe that is an essential part of being a competent RD. I am to encourage and engage my patients on every level possible, so that they may learn to adapt and problem solve to the best of their abilities. I believe the more experience I get in the field, the farther along I will progress on this scale. 

http://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/21/files/2015/03/TIPC_Teaching-Innovation-Progression-Chart.pdf

On the creativity and innovation scale, I would give myself a 6. This is definitely one of my strengths, because it is something I've been working on for a long time. I go beyond simply instructing a diet or getting a health history. I strive to create a learning environment that will benefit my clients during every interaction. That being said, I look forward to continuing to grow and expand my knowledge base so that I can further benefit my patients. 

http://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/21/files/2015/03/TIPC_Teaching-Innovation-Progression-Chart.pdf

On the research and information fluency scale, I am a 4. I am a dedicated student, but I feel like there is so much more out there for me to learn. It's beyond knowing the information. It involves knowing the research, but I need to use information fluently. At this point I can confidently provide patients with resources for further information, provide detailed instruction, and provide support. Again, work experience will allow me to progress on this scale. 







Comments

  1. This is a great reflection Skyler. I was happy to see how you applied it to your own learning spaces (i.e. nutrition). Your reflection is honest and shows that you know what areas you need to continue to build and those that (for now) can simply be maintained.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skyler,

    It's interesting to see this discussion from a slightly different educational perspective. I assume that most of your clients are adults, verses the children and teens most of the rest of are interacting with. I'm curious what kinds of technology you use with your clients. I know there are exercise and nutrition tracking apps, but I'm sure you use a lot of different tools that I'm unaware of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Skyler,
    Yes I too agree that self- evaluation is key to helping us grow and progress in any field that we choose. I really like the perspective that you used with evaluating yourself. Your research and information fluency score really stood out to me and I share a similarity with you in that area. I agree as you mentioned that when we work with our students, patients, clients etc., its important that they not only know the information but also know how to use the information to solve problems or create projects using the information.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Web 2.0 Tools

For this weeks assignment, I had the opportunity to explore a web tool I was previously not familiar with. I chose Seesaw , and I was very impressed with what this website can do. Logo courtesy of seesaw.me Described by children as "Facebook for kids", Seesaw allows students to join an online "classroom" with their teacher and peers. In that classroom, they can share their work and comment on each other's posts. Teachers can send messages to students and even have the ability to share the online classroom with parents. This is a great way to allow technology to bring teachers, students, and parents together in one place. Seesaw gives students a safe space online to show off all their hard work in class. Check out the video below to learn more about the basics of setting up an account and navigating this awesome website. Personal video of seesaw.me created with Screencastify One pretty cool feature about this website is how students log in. You can

Professional Learning Network

Photo courtesy of twitter.com I joined Twitter in 2009. Like most millennials, I used it to stay in contact with friends, scroll through memes, and share tidbits about my day. It wasn't until my senior year of undergrad that I actually created a professional Twitter account. I took a nutrition communication class that required I create an account and tweet out helpful nutrition tips several times a week. It stressed writing my own tweets over retweeting others. This was great, but I didn't really focus on gaining followers because I didn't interact much with the rest of Twitter. It wasn't until EDU776 that I truly started utilizing Twitter to expand my professional network.  Field trips can be fun and educational, but they can also be expensive, hard to plan, and difficult to chaperone. One resource that I found particularly helpful was originally posted by Kara Wilkins  and shared through Twitter  by  @WeAreTeachers . They post contained a list of 250 "vi

Design Thinking

Design Thinking Check out my video about this educational trend!  Here are some interesting links for more information: 1.  https://www.ted.com/talks/tim_brown_urges_designers_to_think_big/up-next#t-6925  (Links to an external site.) Links to an external site. 2.  https://dschool-old.stanford.edu/sandbox/groups/k12/wiki/14340/attachments/e55cd/teacher%20takeaway.pdf?sessionID=c85b670208fde73cab552d4757ad4f368f2[KM,;’\\0d455  (Links to an external site.) Links to an external site. 3.  https://web.stanford.edu/dept/SUSE/taking-design/presentations/Taking-design-to-school.pdf  (Links to an external site.) Links to an external site. 4.  https://designthinkingforeducators.com/  (Links to an external site.) Links to an external site. 5.  https://dschool-old.stanford.edu/groups/k12/wiki/332ff/Curriculum_Home_Page.html  (Links to an external site.) Links to an external site. 6.  http://ajjuliani.com/the-beginners-guide-to-design-thinking-in-the-classroom/  (Links to an exter